I am enjoying the 23 Things training but what I find most frustrating is the need with nearly every activity is to sign up with another online account. Why do these online services require so much information or involvement?
So to rebel against this I have chosen to look more closely at my existing RSS reader - Google reader rather than sign up for something new.
I currently subscribe to several news and library feeds including:
ABC News, Science news, Entertainment news, Offbeat news
ALIAnet
The Onion - satirical news site
OCLC
Media watch
BBC News
Google News
This I believe is enough for me, and there is not enough time in the day to look at the all of it.
I like Google reader because it is a one stop shop for readings and subscribing to feeds. It is useful because it doesn't clog up my email with notifications of new content because it is all contained.
RSS feeds would no doubt be useful in the library for new books and news updates for the University, but would anyone subscribe? According to CNET - RSS: feel the need for feeds? http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10088_7-5143656-1.html RSS feeds are still only used by a minority of people.
Two posts from my Onion news feed:
Newest Kindle may change textbook market
Trekkies bash new Star Trek film as "fun and watchable"
Cheers
Librarian Blues
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment