Now that the K Rudd cash has come through I thought I might try and support the economy by buying a second digital set top box but in my research for the best deal I encountered the PVR or the personal video recorder and started to drool.
The PVR is the replacement technology for the VCR. PVRs instead of recording to an analogue tape it records TV programs to a hard drive. A good quality PVR comes with at least two high definition digital tuners and a big hard drive that allows about 300 hours of recording. Two tuners allows you to record 2 tv programs simultaneously or watch 1 program and record another at the same time.
Besides these basic features the better quality PVRs come with the ability to network the hard drive and its recorded programs with other computers in your home. Allowing someone to watch a prerecorded program in their bedroom computer while someone else is watching TV in the lounge room.
However all this technology comes at a great price as the PVR of choice at the moment is the Beyonwiz DP-P2 but it retails for $899-999.
Obvisiouly I could use be K Rudd cash to splurg and buy this wiz bang piece of technology and go gaga and bore my friends to death about all the exciting things it can do. But the question that is most important at this stage is do I need it?
And my answer is, no. I still have a functioning VCR and 2 analogue tvs one of which has a HD set top box. I am currently happy and content with this and my life doesn't need any more TV.
So for the moment I might buy a outdoor entertainment set (chairs and table) to keep my wife happy and wait for my existing analogue viewing equippment to die or be terminated with the end of the analogue tv broadcast signal.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved this post as it opened my eyes to this radical change in technology. We need to be digital ready but are we ready to record when we're not around to watch! Thanks for this.
ReplyDeleteChocolate-IT